[Om-announce] 22nd ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI 2017): First Call for Workshop Proposals
announce at cs.ucy.ac.cy
Sat Apr 2 12:15:16 CEST 2016
** First Call for Workshop Proposals ***
22nd ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces
St. Raphael Resort, Limassol, Cyprus
March 13-16, 2017
ACM IUI 2017 is the 22nd annual meeting of the intelligent interfaces
community and serves as a premier international forum for reporting
outstanding research and development on intelligent user interfaces.
The 22nd edition of the conference will be held in Limassol, Cyprus.
Limassol (or Lemesos) is a multicultural bustling town, flanked by two
ancient cities, Amathus and Kourion, and guarded by the Amathusian
Aphrodite and Appolo Hylates. It is a town of great visual diversity and
contrast from spectacular seafront views, historic places like the mediaeval
Castle, and Byzantine churches. Along the 17 km long sandy beaches, two
Marinas, world renowned 5 star hotels, and a most exciting dining, shopping,
nightlife and yachting scene create a year-round vibrant lifestyle well beyond
the expectations of a Mediterranean island.
ACM IUI is where the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) community meets
the Artificial Intelligence (AI), with contributions from related fields such as
psychology, behavioral science, cognitive science, computer graphics, design
or the arts. Our focus is to improve the interaction between humans and
machines, by leveraging both more traditional HCI approaches, as well as
solutions that involve state-of-the art AI techniques such as machine
learning, natural language processing, data mining, knowledge
representation and reasoning. ACM IUI welcomes contribution from any
relevant arena: academia, business, or non-profit organizations.
IUI 2017 is pleased to invite proposals for workshops to be held in
conjunction with the conference. The goal of the workshops is to provide a
venue for presenting research on focused topics of interest and an informal
forum to discuss research questions and challenges. Workshops will be held
on the first day of the conference. We invite submissions of full-day (6 hours)
and half-day (3 hours) workshop proposals on any of the conference topics.
We encourage proposals for a wide range of workshops, including but not
· "Mini-conferences" on specialized topics; such workshops may have their
own paper submission and review processes.
· "Late breaking work" meetings; such workshops usually have a lighter
review process (e.g. based on abstracts only).
· "Hands-on" workshops around a specific problem or topic that may wish to
ask participants to submit a position statement.
· "Project centric" workshops that may be closely related to the scope of an
existing large scale (e.g. EU funded) project.
· "Mini-competitions", challenges, or hack-a-thons around selected topics
with individual or team participation.
Note: The key to a successful workshop submission is to CONTACT THE
CHAIRS WITH YOUR IDEAS (workshop2017 at iui.acm.org), and work together
to prepare an exciting proposal!
Workshop proposals should be maximum 2 pages long and follow the
formatting instructions from SIGCHI Paper Format, http://www.cs.ucy.ac.cy/~george/lm/lm.php?tk=b20tYW5ub3VuY2UJCQlvbS1hbm5vdW5jZUBvcGVubWF0aC5vcmcJMjJuZCBBQ00gSW50ZXJuYXRpb25hbCBDb25mZXJlbmNlIG9uIEludGVsbGlnZW50IFVzZXIgSW50ZXJmYWNlcyAoSVVJIDIwMTcpOiBGaXJzdCBDYWxsIGZvciBXb3Jrc2hvcCBQcm9wb3NhbHMJMTEJTGlzdHMJMTczCWNsaWNrCXllcwlubw==&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sigchi.org
/publications/chipubform. Please submit your proposal by e-mail to the
workshop chairs at workshop2017 at iui.acm.org.
The proposals should be organized as follows:
· Name and title: A one-word workshop acronym and a full title.
· Description of workshop topic and goal: This description should discuss
the relevance of the suggested topic to IUI and its interest for the IUI 2017
audience. Include a brief discussion of why and for which audience the
workshop is of particular interest.
· Organizers: Names, affiliations, emails, and web pages of the workshop
organizers. This can be a single person or a group of people. Strong
proposals normally include organizers who bring differing perspectives on
the topic and are actively connected to the communities of potential
participants. Please indicate the primary contact person and the organizers
who plan to attend the workshop.
· Previous history: List of previous workshops that were held on the topic
including the conferences that hosted past workshops and the number of
participants. Also please provide the list of other workshops organized by
workshop organizers in the past.
· Workshop program committee: Names and affiliation of the members of the
workshop program committee that will evaluate the workshop submissions.
· Participants: A statement saying how many participants you expect and how
you plan to invite participants for the workshop. We recommend the
proposal to include the names of at least 10 people who have expressed
interest to participate in the workshop.
· Workshop format: A brief description of the workshop format regarding the
mix of events such as paper presentations, invited talks, panels,
demonstrations, and general discussion.
· Length: Full-day or half-day.
· Proposal format: Workshop proposals should be maximum 2 pages long
and follow the formatting instructions from SIGCHI: http://www.cs.ucy.ac.cy/~george/lm/lm.php?tk=b20tYW5ub3VuY2UJCQlvbS1hbm5vdW5jZUBvcGVubWF0aC5vcmcJMjJuZCBBQ00gSW50ZXJuYXRpb25hbCBDb25mZXJlbmNlIG9uIEludGVsbGlnZW50IFVzZXIgSW50ZXJmYWNlcyAoSVVJIDIwMTcpOiBGaXJzdCBDYWxsIGZvciBXb3Jrc2hvcCBQcm9wb3NhbHMJMTEJTGlzdHMJMTczCWNsaWNrCXllcwlubw==&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sigchi.org
· Workshop proposals will be reviewed and evaluated by the workshop chairs
and the IUI 2017 program committee chairs.
· Organizers: We strongly encourage the workshop organizers to attend IUI
and take part in their workshop. This can make the workshops more
appealing for the participants and strengthen the discussion part.
· Workshop summary: An extended abstract (max. 3 pages) with a summary
of the workshop goals and an overview of the workshop topics will be
included in the ACM Digital Library for IUI 2017.
· Workshop proceedings: At the convenience of the workshop organizers, we
will arrange a joint volume of online proceedings for the workshop papers.
Workshops should request the authors to submit papers in the ACM SIGCHI
· Cancellation: Workshops with fewer than 10 submissions by December 23,
2016 may be cancelled. This will be done in consultation between the
workshop chairs of IUI 2017 and the workshop organizers.
Additionally, we strongly encourage to have workshop organizers from
different institutions and research communities, bringing different
perspectives to the workshop topic. We welcome workshops with a creative
structure that attracts various types of contributions and ensures rich
The organizers of accepted workshops are responsible for producing a call
for participation and publicizing it, such as distributing the call to relevant
newsgroups and electronic mailing lists, and especially to potential audiences
from outside the IUI conference community. Workshop organizers will
maintain their own web site with updated information about the workshop
and the IUI 2017 web site will refer to the workshop site. The workshop
organizers will coordinate the paper sollicitation, collection, and review
process, and coordinate the production of the joint online proceedings with
IUI 2017 workshop chairs.
Discuss your topic with the workshop chairs: ASAP
(workshop2017 at iui.acm.org)
· Workshop Proposals: September 16, 2016
· Decisions Sent: October 7, 2016
** TENTATIVE dates of the review cycle **
· Submission Deadline: December 16, 2016
· Final go/no-go Decision: December 23, 2016
· Camera-Ready of Workshop Summary: January 5, 2017
· Notifications to Authors: January 23, 2017
· Camera-Ready of Accepted Papers: February 6, 2017
· Workshop Date: March 13, 2017
· Shlomo Berkovsky, CSIRO, Australia
· Bart Kninijnburg, Clemson University, USA
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Om-announce