[Om-announce] 2nd Workshop on Bridging the Gap between Human and Automated Reasoning - Call for Papers

Geoff Sutcliffe geoff at cs.miami.edu
Wed Feb 17 14:34:10 CET 2016

                      CALL FOR PAPERS
|                   Second Workshop on:                    |
|  Bridging the Gap between Human and Automated Reasoning  |

       an IJCAI-16 workshop (supported by IFIP TC12)
               New York, USA, July 9th, 2016
        http://ratiolog.uni-koblenz.de/bridging2016

Human  reasoning  or  the  psychology  of  deduction is well
researched in cognitive psychology and in cognitive science.
There  are a lot of findings which are based on experimental
data about reasoning tasks,  among  others  models  for  the
selection  task  or  the suppression task discussed by Byrne
and  others.  This  research  is  supported  also  by  brain
researchers,  who  aim  at  localizing  reasoning  processes
within the brain.

Automated deduction, on the other hand, is  mainly  focusing
on the automated proof search in logical calculi. And indeed
there is tremendous success during the last decades.

Recently a coupling of the areas of  cognitive  science  and
automated  reasoning is addressed in several approaches. For
example there is increasing interest in modeling human  rea-
soning within automated reasoning systems including modeling
with answer set  programming,  deontic  logic  or  abductive
logic  programming. There are also various approaches within
AI research.

This workshop is a follow-up event of the successful  Bridg-
ing  workshop (http://ratiolog.uni-koblenz.de/bridging.html)
which was located at CADE-25. Like its preceding  event,  it
is  intended  to  get an overview of existing approaches and
make a step  towards  a  cooperation  between  computational
logic and cognitive science. Topics of interest include, but
are not limited to the following:

o limits and differences between automated and human reason-
  ing

o psychology of deduction

o common sense reasoning

o logics modeling human cognition

o modeling human reasoning using automated reasoning systems

o non-monotonic, defeasible,  and  classical  reasoning  and
  possible explanations for human reasoning

o application  fields of automated reasoning in the interac-
  tion with human reasoners

The workshop will be held in conjunction with  IJCAI-16  and
is supported by IFIP TC12.

IMPORTANT DATES
Full Paper submission deadline: April 18th, 2016
Notification: May 16th, 2016
Final submission: May 23rd, 2016
Workshop: July 9th, 2016

SUBMISSION  AND  CONTRIBUTION  FORMAT  Papers, including the
description of work in progress are welcome  and  should  be
formatted  according  to  the  Springer LNCS guidelines. The
length should not exceed 15 pages. All papers must  be  sub-
mitted  in  PDF.  Formatting instructions and the LNCS style
files can be obtained at
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.htm.
The EasyChair submission site is available at
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bridging2016

PROCEEDINGS Proceedings of the workshop will be published as
CEUR workshop proceedings. Depending on the number and qual-
ity of the submission we are planning  post  proceedings  in
the Springer AICT Series
http://www.springer.com/series/6102.

ORGANIZERS
Ulrich Furbach, University of Koblenz
Steffen Hölldobler, University of Dresden
Marco Ragni, University of Freiburg
Natarajan Shankar, SRI International

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Ruth Byrne, University of Dublin
Ulrich Furbach, University of Koblenz
Steffen Hölldobler, University of Dresden
Gabriele Kern-Isberner, TU Dortmund University
Kai-Uwe Kühnberger, University of Osnabrück
Laura Martignon, MPI Berlin
Ursula Martin, University of Oxford
Luis Moniz Pereira, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Marco Ragni, University of Freiburg
Claudia Schon, University of Koblenz
Natarajan Shankar, SRI International
Keith Stenning, Edinburgh University
Frieder  Stolzenburg,  Harz  University  of Applied Sciences

Contact: Claudia Schon, schon at uni-koblenz.de