[om] Reference vs. Referent: solution to an old problem

Paul Libbrecht paul at ags.uni-sb.de
Tue Dec 12 19:48:06 CET 2000

On Tuesday, December 12, 2000, at 05:30 PM, Richard Fateman wrote:

> I could not parse the note from Paul Libbrecht, but the point as
> taken up by Manfred Riem suggests that the OpenMath CD is going
> to include a specification of all algorithms, and that CAS
> are free to either implement them or not.  Thus by carefully
> specifying certain operations, one could exclude certain CAS
> implementations entirely. Gor example a reasonable spec
> for floating-point operations would either have to exclude
> all arithmetic of Mathematica or all of Maple, since their
> models are, I believe, incompatible.

But one could mention a precision context-variable which might make them compatible. Is it too stupid ??

Being exclusive on the implementations will be timed-bomb I believe
(don't we want some implementations, at least of wrappers ?)

>   Since people who have better ideas than either of
> these do not always agree, what is the role of OpenMath,
> to state what is correct?

It should be "semantically" correct.
(this is what has to be defined and where OpenMath can reign)

> 1. CAS even disagree on whether x+1 or 1+x is simpler.

But not when used "as a polynomial".

> 2. For fun, assume that my indefinite integration program
> always returns the same as yours, except that I add to
> the result  C=(arctan(x)+arctan(1/x)).   Does my
> program conform to the same openmath CD?

The good questions are starting.
I hope it becomes possible that this ambiguity is covered by a simplification of some sort.

> Note that derivative of C wrt x is 0 in any CAS. Therefore
> it must be a constant, and one can always add a constant
> to the result of indefinite integration, right?. But it is not.

This ambiguity is exactly what has to be specified by an "indefinite integration" operation.

> Plot it.

Ah, come on, that's user related ;>>

> I also think it is unreasonable to
> expect that some small group of essentially
> self-appointed standardizers will be able to
> dictate an abstract specification to which
> programmers must comply.

I have the feeling some implementors are not too far away,
that makes the view more valid.

> If I wanted to actually do a computation, I
> would undoubted choose
> the most appropriate single
> ONE computer algebra system X
> for nearly all the computations.  If I decided
> I needed another facility only  in some other computer
> algebra system Y, I would have to study that
> computer algebra system carefully, and see
> if the facility was what I wanted.  Studying
> the OpenMath CD would probably not be helpful,
> according to what I've just read here.
Hopes...

Paul
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org