[om] Re: OM-services

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 14 17:21:48 CET 2000

Andrew Solomon wrote:

<snip>
> is whether it is possible to specify the functionality of a service closely enough that
> the specification can be understood by another program which can decide if it will do
> the calculation it desires.

I would only add that the OM idea seems to be that this description
 should be written by some committee generally not including the
person or persons who wrote the program.

>Perhaps where this is heading is that we are defining a class
> of services which can be specified in a machine readable format.

A prototype already exists in the form of a subroutine library.
The specification, documentation, and sometimes the source code
are all machine readable for (say) LAPACK.
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org