[om] Re: library

Juergen Zimmer jzimmer at ags.uni-sb.de
Fri Jun 1 20:26:28 CEST 2001

Dear all,

> I think the most important issue is that one person
> be held responsible per CD (group).

this is also my opinion.

> CD. Since the AMS55 (Abraham/Stegun) on line project is making
> good progress, and since editors involved are perfectly

Bye the way, is there any page where all (small or little) projects that
use OpenMath  are listed? That would be very helpful to avoid double
inventions and learn from another.

> As for the polynomial CD, the group CD, the algebra (rings and algebras) CD,
> etc., I have no clue as to who is active on this area right now.

I'm using the 'factor' symbol in the 'poly.cd' at the moment because I
offer the polynomial factorization of CoCoA as an abstract mathematical
service for mathematical reasoning agents.

Two remarks on the poly.cd:

1) A matter of personal taste: I don't like the functional writing:
                <OMA>
                  <OMS name="eq" cd="relation1"/>
                  <OMA>
                    <OMS name="factor" cd="poly"/>
                        POLY
   		    <OMS name="factored" cd="poly"/>
		        FACTORS

Since I come from the 'logic' side of computer science I would really
appreciate to use factor as a predicate without the 'eq':
                  <OMA>
                    <OMS name="factor" cd="poly"/>
                       POLY
   		       <OMS name="factored" cd="poly"/
		           FACTORS

But I'm sure there are some good reasons for the functional view. As far as
I can see, factor and factored are still not used in any other polyXY.cd.

2) I don't understand the reason why to use 'factored' when it is nothing
   else than a list of factors...
   As said before, factored is not used in any other poly.cd.
   Bye the way, I guess the example for the 'expand' symbol in cd 'poly' is not
   very meaningful because there is no 'expand' in it...

   eq(factored(power(x,2),power(plus(x,2),1),power(minus(x,2),1)),
      plus(power(x,4),times(-4,power(x,2))))

I would really appreciate to discuss these questions with someone who works
with the poly CDs.

Bye and thanks a lot
    J"urgen
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org