[om] Matlab phrasebook?

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 22 03:53:52 CEST 2001

At the risk of pointing out the obvious,
if Javamath wishes to communicate with a Matlab session,
then the simple and obvious method is to use character
strings that look like Matlab commands. That is certainly
the way I did it in Macsyma, circa 1979. The return
journey is via arrays of floats.

Converting to an openmath XML object in between is
pointless, I think, unless maybe array of float
is going to benefit from being copied over a few
extra times. Or if someone is paying you to do
openmath, regardless of its utility.

There are, I suspect, entirely other issues that make
Matlab semantics unwelcome in the rest of the world, at
least if it is still the way I remember it:  the meaning of a
variable Z depends upon whether there happens to be a file in some
file directory with that name.  Is Z a function or an array?
Whose file directory are you talking about?
Cheers

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org