[om] A Proposal for extending OpenMath with structure sharing

jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 14:10:04 CEST 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Richard Fateman wrote:

> If OM has an intention of providing notation and
> semantics for an assign operation, then it is
I never said that it should (though this is atopic of debate), I was
merely using assignment on intervals as an example of how there's a
difference between "two different [-1,1]" and "two occurrences of the same
"[-1,1]". John Abbott's example needs no assignment.
>   seems to me it has become a programming language with
> all that baggage as well.
>    If you want to define "semantic sharing" it can
> be done, in most reasonable cases, with lambda-binding.
It can be done, though people might be surprised to see the result of
solving a cubic to be the application of a lambda-expression to
sqrt(-4a^3-27b^2).

James
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org