[om] A Proposal for extending OpenMath with structure sharing

Stephen Watt watt at scl.csd.uwo.ca
Fri Apr 5 15:46:14 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 04:12:18PM -0800, Richard Fateman wrote:
> My suggestion is to allow syntactic sharing for transmission, but
> not to make it the way to imply semantic sharing.  Semantic
> sharing must be done by lambda binding.

This is not quite as powerful as labels since lambdas alone
won't represent cyclic objects.

We additionally would need something like:

  * a fixed point operator (so we can do Y lambda), or

  * specify an evaluation order so we can build fixed points from lambdas, e.g.
    using lambda f.(lambda x.f(xx))(lambda x.f(xx)) and normal order eval, or

  * assignment (which is what Schemes typically use with lambda to give letrec).

Labels seem simpler.

-- Stephen
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org