Juergen Zimmer: Re: [om] A Proposal for extending OpenMath with XML annotations

Andrew Solomon andrew at illywhacker.net
Fri Aug 16 17:13:23 CEST 2002

I think there's a problem with OMSTR solution:

What if the "data" you want to put in OMSTR is not MathML
but XML encoded "OMyGod" -
a subtle variant of OM which contains the OMSTR element.
Then it will  make life really difficult for the OM-XML parser
which can't then just look for a closing OMSTR, but must
actually parse the content. And what if the data isn't XML at all,
but some bizarre thing where </OMSTR> could appear through sheer bad luck?

a) Can this be solved by a sensible use of namespaces?
<om:OMATTR>
	<mml:mrow>
	<mml:mo>sin</mml:mo> &ApplyFunction; <mml:mn>1</mml:mn>
	</mml:mrow>
</om:OMATTR>

b) Alternatively, can OM Objects refer to names of things outside
themselves, but in the same XML document?

Some XML document might contain a preamble

<MyXMLBinding>
<name>
</name>
<mathml>
... mathml object here
</mathml>
</MyXMLBinding>

... then the OM object

<om:OMOBJ>

<om:OMATTR>
  <om:OMA>
    <om:OMS cd="extrefs" name="ref">
    <om:OMSTR>x</om:OMSTR>
  </om:OMA>
</om:OMATTR>

</om:OMOBJ>

Andrew

--
Faculty of IT, UTS                     http://www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~andrews/
Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia          phone:+61.2.9514 7938
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org