[om] Re: comments on documents

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon May 20 17:00:51 CEST 2002

Do I understand then that the representation
for an expression in OM is really
an expression plus a style sheet and that
the style sheet could, for example, be
equivalent to "invoke Maple to simplify
and compute a display"?

Do you mean phrasebook, not stylesheet?

Regarding 1/x having different OM syntax depending
on how it should look.... I guess that you
are free to agree with me, it is just that
  I wonder why you call this "semantic meaning" [sic].

I think it is appropriate when responding
to my posting, to quote my posting, not
reiterating
your (refuted) refutation of my 2nd previous
posting.  To remind you,  I was
complaining about your inconsistency with this
quote from OM on the web:

" MathML deals principally with the presentation of mathematical
objects, while OpenMath is solely concerned with their semantic meaning
or content. "

It seems to me that it contradicts what
you say.  And what you say again in
this message below.  You should perhaps offer to
rewrite the OM document.

Perhaps it should say

MathML deals with the presentation of mathematical objects
and also to some extent their meaning.  OpenMath does the
same except using different markers, and with a different
emphasis, more on content.  OM can be extended by the publishing of
content dictionaries. MathML can be altered by appeal
to W3C.   The display of either MathML
or OM can be altered by style sheets. (Is this all true?)

Perhaps somewhere else (FAQ?) you could ask and answer:

Why then OM?
Some people don't trust W3C to do it right.

But if they are the same people, how is that?
Uh, who pays your salary?

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org