[om] DefMP elements

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Dec 4 09:34:32 CET 2003

On Jeudi, déce 4, 2003, at 01:56 Europe/Paris, Bill Naylor wrote:

>>> I think that the feeling at Bremen was that dissallowing
>>> self-reference
>>> inside a defining FMP was generally a good thing.  Self-reference and
>>> hence recursion is of course quite legal for the evaluating case.
>>
>> Just a note that this goes against a lot of trends in programming
>> languages
>> (and their semantics), and established wisdom in type theory (and thus
>> logic), where there are 'too many' semantic objects whose best (and
>> often
>> only) definition is recursive.  There is a whole community all of
>> whose
>> tools (algebraic and co-algebraic specifications) all use
>> fundamentally
>> recursive definitions, even at the concept level.  Not allowing
>> self-reference in defining objects just means that lots of very
>> natural
>> objects will not be definable within OpenMath, only externally, which
>> can
>> get quite tedious.
>
> I think this is a very good point, it would be very dangerous to
> exclude mathematical community's at the specification level!

To me, OMDoc was made to answer to this point and OpenMath doesn't have
enough artillery for that:
-> if you want a definition, then you probably want theorems to justify
this definition (and thus proofs)
-> if you want multiple definitions then you probably want theorems to
prove the equivalence of these

Declaring DEFMP to disallow self-referencing is for the sake of keeping
such a notion of definition small and simple: I understand it as a
syntactical replacement instruction...

Allowing recursion means you need to to prove (or trust?) that
recursion has an end... at least not something you can do with a schema.

Paul
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org