[om] DefMP elements

Mike Dewar miked at nag.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 17:03:41 CET 2003

I think there may be a misunderstanding here, caused perhaps by a poor
choice of terminology.  There is no proposal to forbid recursion across
the board: James' suggestion is that we should have in effect two kinds
of definitions, one which expresses a concept directly in terms of
simpler ones (his "defining FMP" - FMP stands for "Formal Mathematical
Property"), and one which can be used to reduce a concept to simpler
ones through some multi-step process of evaluation (his "evaluating
FMP").  James makes some philosophical distinctions between these two
cases in the paper whose URL I posted earlier in this thread.

Perhaps a better choice of terminology would be "equivalence" for the
first and "definition" for the second but that might be even more
confusing ...

Mike.

http://www.star.net.uk
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org