[om] Newbie questions on the meaning of the Attribution Element

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 12 23:14:26 CET 2003

I would go even further and say that any application
is compelled to ignore the entire attribution unless
the OMObject is coming from a trusted source )or whose
attributions are certified in some way).

It is conceivable for a front-end to a computer algebra
system and a back-end to communicate with OMObjects,
in which case it is very likely that the attribution
will be the ONLY thing used  (e.g. for Maple, it could
be Maple encodings).  That is, the rest
of the OM is treated as noise, since it cannot convey anything
MORE informative than the Maple command.

In almost any other circumstance the attribution must
be treated as noise.  Just because someone includes a
Maple expression string in the attribution doesn't mean
it is accurate; and if it is not Maple that is
receiving the object, what sense will be made of it? One
can only make sense of it if one has a "fake Maple"
parser and knowledge base.

In fact this illustrates the fundamental flaw in OM.  In
almost any application you might as well be communicating
in some side-channel if you want to make sure something
is understood exactly and completely.  The alternative
of building up a CD etc etc is too painful.  Demonstrations
that this encoding might be useful for typesetting
(like presentation MathML) is not a proof of concept.
It is a proof that OM can be used for typesetting.

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org