[om] MathML draft Notes available for review

Andreas Strotmann Strotmann at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jul 25 16:34:18 CEST 2003

Thanks, Stan!

A few things I noticed:

-- Aren't there a few Unicode code points for unit symbols? It might be
useful to mention them eventually.

 -- one important distinction you missed when discussing possible
sources of ambiguity of a unit or a dimension is that between absolute
and relative uses. This is a fundamental distinction, namely that
between the designation of a specific point in a continuum and the
description of a relation between two such points.  A particular case in
point is absolute temperature vs. temperature difference, where it is
decisive, for example, in determining whether or not a conversion factor
of 1/1.8 is an appropriate annotation for a Fahrenheit temperature.

 -- a matter of taste, certainly, but I'd much prefer the full
lower-case name (kilo, micro(!)...) of the unit prefix used in a URI. In
my cultural background, (ab-)using the roman letter 'u' to stand for the
greek letter 'mu' makes very little sense, and the requirement of
(multi-)capitalization is inconsistent with the all-lowercase stance of
(much of) the rest of MathML. Besides, those URI's get long anyway, so I
really don't see what you gain by using the  abbreviated form.

 -- in a related issue, is it possible to use your "own" unit prefixes
('dozen', 'score', 'half' come to mind)?

 -- you write that a primary use of units is to annotate numbers.
However, units are often used to annotate whole mathematical formulas,
especially in physics, where a 'dimensions check' is routinely used as a
useful sanity check for formulas (I think physicists use a complex
dimension added in square brackets as a notation).

 -- In K-14 education, financial maths is proabably just as important as
physics when it comes to providing practical examples. Monetary units
play a fundamental role there, and they should be discussed either here
or in an accompanying document.  For such units, however, the URI
mechanism is probably woefully inadequate (try annotating the numbers in
the recently published UN Human Development Index report).

 -- in particular the prefixes are used differently in this context
(millions/Mio) -- and inconsistently cross-culturally to boot (billions
vs. milliards)

 -- similar things are probably true of dates and times, with rather
arcane distinctions between UTC and GMT being (perhaps literally) the
smallest problem. Even today, there is any number of calendars being in
active use in a large population, some of them lunar, some solar, some a
mixture of both...

-- I'd like to see an example giving the correct MML representation of
the position of the W3C headquarters at MIT in standard coordinates
(degrees...seconds... latitude and longitude), both presentation and
content markup.

-- dto. for the date and time of the opening ceremony for that august
body :-)

-- another example of a unit that changed over time (I heard) is that of
Mach (=speed of sound), which apparently was measured with an error at
an embarassingly small digit early on, and which was corrected only
embarassingly recently.

In summary, I'm not sure if a URI mechanism is really appropriate for
capturing the potentially intricate way that units of all kinds are used
and specified in mathematics. To me, it would make more sense to
represent such a potentially complex concept as a compound MathML
element, where separate ingredients are treated in separate
sub-elements, and specifications can be arbitrarily vague ("Dollar") or
specific ("annual average buying-power-equivalent of a constant
1990-average Australian Dollar as determined from statistics collected
by xyz based on a standardized shopping portfolio defined by zyx," for
example -- again, try the UN HDI statistics...).

However, this again seems to be a case where a second edition cannot do
anything more appropriate, because that would almost certainly involve
the introduction of new MathML symbols (perhaps <unit/>, <dimension/>,
<meter/>, <kilo/>...) and a description of their use along the lines of
your essay.

 -- Andreas

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org