[om] MathML draft Notes available for review

Bill Naylor Bill.Naylor at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jul 30 03:06:01 CEST 2003

> jhd:
> factors etc. However, there is a problem with presentation, and it might
> be nice to formalise a mechanism for associating presentation  with
> OpenMath symbols.

So I have an honours student who has just started a project for
implementation of some of the ideas I (together with Stephen Watt) expound
in the paper "Meta Style Sheets for the conversion of Mathematical
documents into multiple forms - AMAI vol 38 may 2003. A main topic is
conversion of an extended MathML (based on OpenMath) to presentation
MathML. If this was to include the units CDs, this could also solve this
problem.

> > I think it is important to make units precise in OpenMath, since I have
> > heard the example of the Mars lander fiasco used quite a few times as a
> > reason for OpenMath. If units are not made precise in OpenMath, then this
> > sort of destroys that reason!
> jhd:
> I'm not sure I follow this. If OpenMath had been used, then the fiasco
> could not have happened, since the OpenMath would specify the precise unit
> correctly.

the point I was making was that OpenMath must specify a unit
correctly and precisely. Currently for example, the pint is specified
as

"This symbol represents the measure of one pint. This is the standard
imperial measure for volume."

This might (incorrectly) be confused with the US pint (where in fact
there are two; liquid and dry). Also as stan was saying, these things
seem to have a habit of changing values depending on the date. Currently
in the units directories we say nothing about the dates of these
quantities.

Bill

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org