[om] A&S as authority.

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Thu Nov 6 04:26:16 CET 2003

Richard Fateman wrote:
> Some cautions.

Indeed, it is tricky business.

As I understand it, there is no "The" branch cuts, merely
conventional ones, occasionally even obviously-preferable ones,
and/or sets of cuts that maximize the number of identities that
are valid without having to note exceptions.  As Prof. Davenport,
and others, have noted, A&S isn't completely consistent here.

I'm not sure I have the final word on how far the DLMF editors
want to go in this direction; The asymptotics folks in control,
while granting that the issue is important, like to wave thier
hands and mumble `analytic continuation' :>
And certainly when you get into the multi-variable/parameter
very-non-elementary functions, it becomes, um, harder.

BTW: The planned completion for DLMF is late '04.

bruce.miller at nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org