[om] Re: Draft Specification of OpenMath 2

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at iu-bremen.de
Tue Oct 14 01:28:39 CEST 2003

Dear all,

to help with maintaining a list of errrors tasks and discussions, I
could offer to make an OM2 track on the mathweb.org bugzilla
bug-tracker. If we make the discussion public there, then maintenance
could become much simpler.

What do you think?

Michael

Mike Dewar wrote:
> At the OpenMath workshop in Pisa last year there were discussions about
> a number of proposals for major revisions to the OpenMath standard.  As
> a result of this a working party was formed to investigate the issues
> involved and to produce a revised document.  An interim report was given
> at the workshop in Eindhoven in May and we have now completed a first
> draft which we hope to discuss at the meeting in Bremen next month.  The
> draft can be found under http://www.openmath.org/standard/om20 .  There
> is a description of the major changes in Appendix F.
>
> Two issues which were discussed in Pisa have not made it into this
> document.  The first is the issue of having attributes on FMPs in CDs to
> indicate whether they are definitions or not.  We hope to address this
> issue in a further draft before the meeting in Bremen.  The second is
> the question of having a more "namespace-friendly" XML encoding.  After
> the discussions in Eindhoven we have decided to keep the existing OMS
> syntax and have instead created a mechanism for providing a canonical
> URI for symbols.  This maintains backwards compatibility for objects (an
> OM 1.1 object is still a legal OM 2 object) while providing the
> necessary mechanism for symbols to be referred to in RDFS-style
> applications.
>
> Please direct comments, criticisms and further suggestions to the
> om at openmath.org list.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mike.

> http://www.star.net.uk

    Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,         Office: Research 1, Room 62
    Professor for Computer Science      Campus Ring 12,
    School of Engineering & Sciences    D-28758 Bremen, Germany
    International University Bremen     tel/fax: +49 421 200 3140/3103
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kohlhase     e-mail:
<m.kohlhase at iu-bremen.de>
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org