[Om] Re: Question about the href attribute in OMR.

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at iu-bremen.de
Mon Jun 19 12:41:34 CEST 2006

Dear Alberto,

I am taking this to the OpenMath and  OMDoc lists, so that others also
see what is happening.

Alberto González Palomo wrote:
>       I can't find a clear specification of the OMR href attribute.

you seem to have hit a problem that needs clarification.
>       In page 128 you just mention "the OpenMath element pointed to
> in the href attribute". I went to look at the OpenMath 2.0 specification,
> hoping to find a clarification, but I found that the text is identical:
>
> http://om-candidate.activemath.org/standard/om20-2004-06-30/omstd20html-3.xml#sec_references

I wonder why that might be :-), same careless author maybe?
>       The examples given (same in both documents) are inconsistent: in
> some cases the href has the form "identifier", and in others "#identifier":
> in the listing examples (a whole OMOBJ in XML) the format "#identifier" is
> used, but in the prose (see page 130) we see 'href="baz"' etc.
>       In the OMDoc repository, there are also references in both forms,
> for instance for these two versions of arith1:
>
> omdoc/examples/spec/combined/arith1.omdoc
> omdoc/examples/spec/cd/omcd.omdoc
>
>       In the first case it's without the hash symbol, and in the second
> it's with it.
>
>       According to the schema, the value of href is "anyURI", which seems
> to indicate that the hash symbol is required.

Your analysis is absolutely correct, it is anyURI, and therefore the #
is needed.
> In this case, I'd like to
> have the prose examples in the spec and the OMDoc files fixed, which I
> could do myself if you agree.

That is the best solution, please fix the examples. The other thing we
should do is to make an erratum to the OpenMath 2 spec, so that we have
the clarification in the process there.

Michael
>       Cheers,
> --
> 	Alberto González Palomo
> 	Toledo, España / Saarbrücken, Deutschland
> 	http://www.matracas.org

   Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,         Office: Research 1, Room 62
   Professor for Computer Science      Campus Ring 12,
   School of Engineering & Science     D-28758 Bremen, Germany
   International University Bremen     tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
   http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/mkohlhase <m.kohlhase at iu-bremen.de>