[Om] name of OMS

jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 13:06:16 CEST 2008

On Fri, August 1, 2008 11:24 am, David Carlisle wrote:
>> But then, wouldn't OpenMath 3 be a good opportunity to get rid of
>> old-fashioned namespace replacements?  We've had XML namespaces for
>> almost 10 years now, after all.
>
> If we'd had them for 20 years then almost certainly we wouldn't have to
> have om:OMA or m:mrow, and could have had om:A and m:row but 10 years
> ago  was just a few months too late for both OM and MathML to use this....
>
> I refer to Michael's accurate prediction of my gut reaction to any
> suggestion of changing names at this stage:-)
As regards OMA etc., I am strongly with David's gut reaction.

As regads CDDefinition I am not quite so conservative: my gut feeling is
that Christoph's tools do nearly all the CD-reading there is, and, IF OM3
is going to change the structure of CDs any way, we might as well
modernise in the process.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication