[Om] OpenMath on the Semantic Web?

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 10:33:28 CET 2009

> In general, I have always regarded the parallel development of the
> Semantic Web and OpenMath (CDs) as a real pity, because in principal
> both communities more or less want the same thing.
> Anyway, that's my 10cents.

In the monet project we went some way to trying to align these things,
explictly expressing those parts of the CDs that could be expressed in
OWL/RDF in those languages. The reviewer Paul cited was I think simply
incorrect to state that OpenMath doesn't use Ontologies in teh semweb
sence, it's simply that:

> Ontology languages directly correspond to (some subset of) first-order
> logic with its classical formal semantics. That's something I haven't
> seen in OpenMath so far.

whereas openmath CDs are not restricted to first order logic, and so you
lose something in the translation. but the many parts of teh CDstructure
cn be directly expressed as owl.

http://monet.nag.co.uk/monet/publicdocs/ontologies/openmath.owl

David