[Om] Binary Encoding in org.symcomp.openmath

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Thu Feb 12 18:52:23 CET 2009

Sorry, it seems that I misundestood you, I thought you were suggesting
to gzip XML files (and those do compress well). What you are proposing
is more or less equivalent to the binary encoding.

Michael

Richard Fateman wrote:
> I see no reason to uncompress to XML.  Presumably the parse tree that
> one gets from XML
> can be stored in a compressed form on disk and recreated  in memory,
> without re-parsing.
> I assume that is what Lisp FASL does:  builds up the appropriate
> symbol table and specifies
> the creation of links, and a simple assembler.
>
> The only time one would need to use XML is when dealing with a program
> that only knows
> XML as text string, or perhaps when dealing with a human programmer,
> for whom XML was designed
> as some kind of  external interchange format.
>
> RJF
>
> Michael Kohlhase wrote:
>> Richard Fateman wrote:
>>
>>> One of the obvious attributes of the notation developed by OM, and
>>> one that it shares with XML,  is  "it compresses well".  ;)
>>>
>> while that is good for disk space and network bandwidth, does not really
>> help for processing. If we have to uncompress to XML, we still have the
>> large parsing job and the large DOM objects in memory :-(
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>> RJF

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * on Sabbatical in Auckland (NZ) until VII/2009