[Om] Abbreviated symbols (was Re: Questions about representing units)

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Sun Feb 22 22:32:46 CET 2009

Abbreviated symbols are definitely a matter of input and output and
not matter of semantic to my taste. However the need to declare a new
symbol often has it's own reasons... merely stating that it should be
handled by something else is not really a good answer.

There's a need to declare a symbol as "the same as, if you want to
ignore this part of the world".
The reason I suggested OWL at the time was that it does have abilities
to declare that two classes are to be considered the specialization or
the  same thing provided you can see such a statement.

I absolutely know that FMPs can declare that one construct is equal to
another but the geometry of facts is different. I think the right
question that one should be able to answer is "what to do if I meet
symbol bla-bla and can't do anything with it".

- an FMP that states that bla-bla is bla would be wrong, it would mean
that bla-bla has no finer semantic
- an FMP that states that bla-bla is a specialization of bla would
allow the processor to ignore bla-bla and replace all occurrences of
OMS-bla-bla to OMS-bla

Probably some other discovery effects should be analyzed.

paul