[Om] Queries over the OpenMath CD database

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Sun Jul 26 23:46:19 CEST 2009

Dear all,

  during the OpenMath workshop at CICM I realized that I am not the only one
interested in querying CDs and symbols.  At least two queries were mentioned
to me during or after the workshop:

1. Florian Rabe wanted to get all OpenMath symbols listed by role.
2. Peter Horn wanted to find out what symbol names are unique, i.e. don't
   occur in more than one CD.

Such queries can be answered relatively easily by the RDF graph that the wiki
at http://wiki.openmath.org extracts from the *.ocd files of all standard and
contributed CDs in the svn.  RDF graphs can be queried using SPARQL, an
SQL-like language (see http://wiki.openmath.org/?title=Queries for the example
above).  The graph that I extract contains the structure of the CDs (e.g.
which CD contains which symbols), the occurrence of symbols in FMPs and
Examples, metadata (names, descriptions, date), and discussions about CDs,
symbols, and CMPs/FMPs/Examples.

The wiki supports inline embedding of SPARQL queries into the content of a
page, and anybody who is interested can get write access to [parts of] the
wiki.  However, there are some efficiency problem with the RDF and SPARQL
implementation underlying the wiki that I cannot influence at the moment.
Improvements can only be expected when I'm done with porting the wiki to a
more modern platform.

Therefore, I exported the RDF graph to files, which I'd like to distribute to
anybody interested, with instructions on how to query them in a standalone
way, without involving the wiki.  To lower the barrier, I can also offer you
to answer some of your queries by running them myself.

I would like to put these files into the OpenMath svn, but where?  Can anybody
suggest a reasonable subdirectory of the respective CD directories, where I
got the original data from?  E.g. a subdirectory named "rdf"?

Cheers,

Christoph