[Om] Multistep "equation" symbol?

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Mon May 11 19:38:35 CEST 2009

Lars Hellström wrote:
> Is there an established OM symbol for "multistep equations" (see
> example below)? If not, would it make sense as part of some official
> content dictionary?

When I've asked such questions in the past,
I generally got James' (essentially correct) response,
that it is equivalent to a conjunction of relations.

I shared your concern that such a multi-something
is easily converted to the conjunction form, but
less reliably converted back.  Perhaps <OMR> would be
useful here?
<OMA>
   <OMS cd="relation1" name="eq"/>
   <OMV name="a"/>
   <OMwhatever id="rhs1"/>
</OMA>

<OMA>
   <OMS cd="relation1" name="eq"/>
   <OMR xref="rhs1"/>
   <OMwhatever id="rhs2"/>
</OMA>

While the issue is mainly about a short-hand
that you don't want to loose, there are,
I think, some subtle semantics sneaking around
behind such a common notation.

As James points out, your case seems to
be sort of a proof, or derivation. Each
rhs follows from, can be derived from, is implied
by, is the asymptotic expansion of, ...
it's associated rhs.  The set of
relation(-like) operators, and their sensible
sequences is tricky, and in general there isn't
a trivial transitivity.

The same notation is used as, eg. a < b = c <= d << e,
where there is (seemingly) less hidden semantic,
just a shorthand.

I suspect there are cases where there other
hidden semantics.

My main point being, if one _were_ to define
such a symbol, it would seem that more than one
"Multi<something>" would be called for.