[Om] Tuple and list : any distinction?

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 19:28:15 CET 2010

On Thu, February 18, 2010 5:56 pm, Joe Collins wrote:
> Dear Michael,
> implies tuple concatenation is normal.
> (Sorry, I didn't mean to knock you for inconsistency).
[I'm not sure Michael means OM Tuples>
> Let me, however, get straight to my real concern.
> I want to represent a coordinate variable tuple like (X, Y, Z) or
> (r, theta, phi). I do NOT consider these "vectors" in general.
> I was considering using tuple to construct them, but then needed a
> means of indexing them. Either adding a "tuple_selector" symbol or using
> the existing list symbols seemed to be the two best options, with my
> preference towards the "tuple_selector" symbol.
> After this feedback on the OpenMath flavor of things, my preference has
> increased in that direction.
Agreed, and tuple selection does indeed appear to be missing (except that
we are told that tuples can be made from pairs, and we have Pair
selection).
I guess by analogy it should be called 'Proj'.
But I didn't write ECC. Olga - did you?

James Davenport
Recently: Visiting Full Professor, University of Waterloo
Now back as:
Lecturer on XX10190, CM30070, CM30078/50123, CM50209
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication