[Om] Tuple and list : any distinction?

Joe Collins joseph.collins at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Feb 18 19:28:48 CET 2010

Dear James,

The list constructor "suchthat"
takes a set as input and a boolean indicator function over the set.

There is no defined order so the result cannot be well defined if order is an
essential property of lists.

This is probably OK if one doesn't care about the order of the result in this case.

Presumably, if one wants to be more formal, an order relation is also a required
argument. To truly nitpick, the number of equivalence classes of the order
relation over the set must be the same as the cardinality of the set, i.e., no
two items in the set are "equal" under the order relation.

Regards,
Joe

--
Joseph B. Collins, Ph.D.