[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Sun Jul 18 00:21:12 CEST 2010

On Sat, July 17, 2010 10:08 pm, David Carlisle
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting wrote:
> On 17/07/2010 18:57, Christoph LANGE wrote:
>> So what is wrong with
>
> well I'd say it's encoding a false assertion, it says
>
> the OM symbol transc1#sin is owl sameas an OM symbol  transc1#sin that
> has been annotated wth the mathml3 definitionurl attribute, pointing at
> dlmf. So it's legal OpenMath but I don't think it means what you want to
> say.
In fact, the real problem is that OpenMath is (which is good) pretty
self-contained. We could create <OMS cd="dlmf" name="sin"/> and assert (in
OpenMath) that that was equivalent to transc1#sin, but Occam's razor
argues against that, and we still need to assert that dlmf#sin is the
object in DLMF.

As I see it, the real problem is that we want to state (question 1: what
form of statement), that transc1#sin is equal to DLMF sin, which
ultimately is a non-OM object.
An OpenMath statement might be:
<OMA>
  <OMS cd="relation1" name="eq"/>
  <OMS cd="transc1" name="sin"/>
  <OMFOREIGN encoding="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
  </OMFOREIGN>
</OMA>
(except that we may need more glue, e.g. <html> - I'm not an expert).

An OWL statement probably should, as David says, be done in OWL.
> Firstly as I said before if you want to make an owl assertion I;d do it
> in owl, using something equivalent to
> http://monet.nag.co.uk/monet/publicdocs/ontologies/openmath.owl
> for the openmath (and an rdf rendition of dmlf for the other side, and
> then just use owl syntax.
>
> However if you wanted to make the assrtion in openmath you want to say
> OM sin is same as dmlf sin so something like
Which is what I suggested (not having read the whole of your post) above,
and discarded.
>   <OMOBJ>
>      <OMA>
>        <OMS cd="owl" name="sameAs"/>  <--- why not relation1#eq?
>        <OMS cd="transc1" name="sin"/>
>        <OMS cd="dmlf" name="sin"/>
>      </OMA>
> </OMOBJ>
>
> and separately you want to state that the canonical uri for dmlf sin is
> whatever it is, which could be something like
>
>   <OMOBJ>
>      <OMA>
>        <OMS cd="omrdf" name="URI"/>
>        <OMS cd="dmlf" name="sin"/>
>        <OMSTR>http://.... whatever</OMSTR<
>      </OMA>
> </OMOBJ>

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190, CM30070, CM30078/50123, CM50209
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Council of the British Computer Society
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic