[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Mon Jul 19 17:31:41 CEST 2010

On 07/18/2010 09:47 AM, Christoph LANGE wrote:
>  ...  Let http://dlfm.nist.gov/4.14.E1 be the
> equation, and let http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14.html#E1 be the materialization
> (called "information resource" in the WWW jargon) of that equation in HTML.

An aside: I think I understand the points, and emphases
you're trying to make here, but I'd like to discourage
thinking of .../4.14#E1 as being deeply different
from .../4.14.E1.  The former is simply the latter
"in context".  And please leave off the ".html"

[The rationale is somewhat more mundane than the
discussion here, but I think worthwhile. We're
trying to maximize the usefulness of links,
electronic vs paper cross-referencing.]

> Exactly, just that I chose different URIs above.  Your document 4.14.E1 is my
> 4.14.html#E1.  And your symbol4.14.E1 is yet something different – if I get it
> correctly, it is "the sin function", i.e. what Bruce called
> http://dlmf.nist.gov/#sin in previous mails, and it would be related to "the
> equation" that I'm talking about above by some "is defined by" relation.

I don't know that I intentionally suggested that, or followed
someone elses suggestion, but if such a URL were to
become valid in the near term, it would probably just
be a restatement of the informal notion of
4.14.E1 "defining" sine.  That is,
http://dlmf.nist.gov/#sin would (currently) redirect to
http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14.E1 which would redirect to
http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14#E1

I would imagine that it is valid for the 1st and 2nd
URI's in that list can reasonably be taken as
_identifying_ distinct things (a definition of sine
vs an equation, respectively).  The practicalities of
a working web server could be confusing however.

Whether DLMF should provide an explicit URL indicating
"sine itself", or it's definition ... or whether we
should even think of ourselves as defining sine...
is something this discussion can help answer.