[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Mon Jul 19 23:44:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, July 19, 2010 4:32 pm, Bruce Miller wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 06:10 AM, Professor James Davenport wrote:
>> That's a fair comment. Indeed, if I were being negative, I could say
>> that
>> DLMF DOESN'T define 'sin', it "merely" states a set of properties about
>> it. Of course, in some cases the definition is difficult (consider log).
>
> It would be too glib to ask what the difference is :>
Since 4.14.E1 is of the form sin(z)=
and since the RHS is (in this case) a well-defined entire function of z,
4.14.1 can be read as a definition.
4.2.2 has to be read in conjunction with the following sentence, and
4.13.1 is harder still.
> More seriously, there are certainly some properties
> that are more important or fundamental than others.
> Of course, some objects are defined by conjunctions
> (eg solutions to <ref a differential equation> satisfying
> <ref some initial conditions>).  There may not be
> (currently) in DLMF a satisfyingly focused single URL
> for such a thing. [The point being that an eventual
> DeFMP needs to capture these conjunctions.]
That, essentially, was my point.

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190, CM30070, CM30078/50123, CM50209
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Council of the British Computer Society
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic