[Om] Content Dictionary for Linked Data with RDF

Andrew Robbins andjrob at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:33:19 CET 2012

Dear OpenMath,

This is my first post to the OM list, so bear with me.
I have a few comments about OpenMath and RDF integration.

(1)
I've been thinking about this for a long time, but so far I haven't
done anything about it. In 2009, I made a blog post about it:
http://straymindcough.blogspot.com/2009/06/semantic-mathml.html in
which I discuss the opposite direction (OM/SCMML to RDF) than we seem
to be discussing here (RDF to OM/SCMML). That post was supposed to be
a discussion, apologies to Christoph for not responding.

(2)
Identifier mappings have been, and always will be, nontrivial. We know
all OMSymbols have a standard map to URI, and that any QName has at
least 2 semi-common maps to a URI: {ns}/{local} and {ns}#{local}.
Mapping from a URI to a QName is much easier, just look for / or # and
reverse the process. Mapping a URI to an OMSymbols might be as simple
as Christoph suggests, but this ignores URNs which do not have any /
characters. I see two possible solutions to this: (3) special-case
RDF, or (4) extend OM semantics to match SCMML3.

(3)
If we are going to treat RDF as a special case, then we should include
all URIs traditionally associated with the rdf: and rdfs: prefixes
with a single CD called 'rdf' (so we could use <OMS cd="rdf"
name="type"/> without a nonstandard cdbase). Also, if there is any
interest in my next suggestion (4), then I would recommend keeping
literal_lang, literal_type (and only those two) in the 'rdf' CD, and
move things like resource sets and value queries to a CD called 'rdf2'
or something similar. I like the idea of literal_lang for encoding
(@lang) and literal_type for encoding (^^type), but I would encourage
more adventurous and pathological examples. I can come up with a few
examples, such as when the subject/object appear more than once, etc.
How would each graph be converted into OM? Do all graphs correspond do
a set of OMATTRs? In my opinion, blank nodes should be treated
differently, converting to values rather than references, but this
cannot be done in the most general case because of repeated predicates
and repeated objects. I don't have a general solution, but I look
forward to hearing discussions on this.

(4)
In Strict Content MathML3, all OMSymbols can be written <math
cdgroup="{cdgroup file associated with symbol's cdbase}"
mismatch there, but the csymbol element definition (even in the Strict
Content profile) specifies an href attribute (and a definitionURL
attribute in the full profile), which allows for encoding any URI as
is. Semantically, this should also denote an OMSymbol, but how to do
so is not obvious. Since OM has had 3-field semantics since the
beginning, concatenating an OMSymbol's fields is not an option.

Consider if special semantics are attached to the case when the cd
attribute is specified, but is empty. Consider also modifying the
section of the OM standard "Canonical URIs for Symbols" to the effect
that if {cd} is empty, then the canonical URI for the OMSymbol is:

  URI = cdbase-value + name-value

otherwise, {cd} is non-empty, and the canonical URI is constructed
according to OM-2.0 and previous. The reverse direction could then
make the assumption that it was constructed with a cdbase that ends in
some non-NCName character, which can be used to split the URI into an
OMSymbol.

(5)
Thank you for your time, and forgive any mistakes I might have made.

Regards,
Andrew Robbins