[Om] Content Dictionary for Linked Data with RDF

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 19:21:56 CET 2012

On Mon, March 5, 2012 2:28 pm, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> [plus others: maybe David, James, Michael, Paul?]
>
> in short: I'm really happy to see that there are so many good ideas
> for OpenMath-RDF interoperability around.  Your post hardly leaves any
> questions open.  I particularly like how you pointed out the ability
> of implementing partial typechecking in OWL.
>
> I guess it would be a good time to ask the "senior" OpenMath folks for
> their opinion about this.  My intuition is that we will never win a
> majority for changing anything about the OpenMath URI scheme – but I
> think it would make sense if a future OpenMath specification mentioned
> at least some non-normative best practices on how to make OpenMath
> interoperable with RDF.  Just to prevent _even_ more people from
> reinventing the wheels that we have invented already.
That's a good point. And indeed, Om has been rather static of late, and I
fear this is not because everyone is happy with it.

My own view is that there is nothing to stop this discussion being
summarised in a "best practice" note or some such. I guess the OMSoc
executive would have to approve this, but thi swould not be the same as a
change to the standard.

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190, CM30070 and CM20215
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Engineering & Science Board, Council of the British Computer Society
Director of Studies, HPC Doctoral Taught Course Centre
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic