[Om] getting started with openMath

ken j609444 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:22:33 CEST 2012

Hello, Lars Hellström

I was thinking of using OpenMath as a command language to access the
CAS, not as a standard for encoding mathematical objects in the CAS.
Like a explained to Alberto I was think of using openMath to abstract
the CAS I use from the rest of my application so I could change the CAS.
It seems like it is turning out to be a lot of work and may not be worth
it. Are you saying that openMath is better suited for use inside a CAS
and not for a way to pass things between different applications or
components?

So I am confused about this arcsin thing. Does not arcsin always output
the same thing for a given input, so why would anyone ever want to
define it differently? If I enter arcsin(1) into a calculator I expect
to always get back pi/2 rad or 90 deg. The unites and whether it is
exact would need to be defined but they are all equivalent and I should
be able to get it in any form needed and change between any of them as I
like depending on the CAS, so that is out side the definition of arcsin.

That brings up another question. Is there any way to specify unites in
openMath. That becomes a big thing if physics? If I ever get that far (I
doubt I will) I would like my calculator to be smart enough that it
would change everything to si units before solving an equation where
units are specified.

Thanks and have a good day.

Ken