[Om] Tutorial or example collection for OpenMath?

Alberto González Palomo Alberto.Gonzalez at matracas.org
Mon Feb 24 15:33:50 CET 2014

Konrad Hinsen wrote: (21/02/14 16:31)
> I discovered OpenMath a while ago and I am trying to figure out how to
> use it. The documentation looks quite complete in the sense of
> defining the meaning of OpenMath objects, but what I need is the
> inverse: find out how to encode a certain formula in OpenMath. In
> theory, I could study all the content dictionaries, but I'd probably
> give up before completing that task.
>
> So what I am looking for is either a tutorial, or at least a list of
> examples. I don't need anything particularly exotic, but I don't even
> see immediately how to express something like "a sum over all pairs of
> indices".

   Hi, I made long ago a formula editor with symbol palettes that you
could use to find the OM encoding of common formulas, although
most likely you would have to tweak them afterwards by hand.
   I've dusted it off and made a little application that shows you the
OpenMath and MathML source as you modify the formula:

http://matracas.org/sentido/demo/index.xhtml

   Please note that it works only in Firefox!

   The templates in the palettes represent my understanding of the
OpenMath symbols, but they are not official or anything.
   At least you can use it to get started.

   Another thing you might find useful in the symbol list of
another OpenMath program I made, more compact than the OM docs:

http://matracas.org/qmath/symbols.html.en

   The Description field comes directly from the OpenMath CDs.

   Cheers,
--
     Alberto González Palomo
     Toledo, España / Saarbrücken, Deutschland