[Om] Tutorial or example collection for OpenMath?

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Mon Feb 24 16:44:41 CET 2014

Konrad Hinsen skrev 2014-02-21 16.31:
> Dear all,
>
> I discovered OpenMath a while ago and I am trying to figure out how to
> use it. The documentation looks quite complete in the sense of
> defining the meaning of OpenMath objects, but what I need is the
> inverse: find out how to encode a certain formula in OpenMath. In
> theory, I could study all the content dictionaries, but I'd probably
> give up before completing that task.
>
> So what I am looking for is either a tutorial, or at least a list of
> examples. I don't need anything particularly exotic, but I don't even
> see immediately how to express something like "a sum over all pairs of
> indices".

One resource I've found useful is the "Index of all symbols"
(http://www.openmath.org/cdindex.html). Searching in this page has a good
chance of turning up something relevant, even if it's in a content
dictionary you didn't expect.

As for encoding a sum over all pairs of indices, there is the complication
that the official OMCDs aren't fond of expressing things using binder
symbols (even if the standard supports the concept of such), so one
typically has to wrap the body up in a lambda before feeding it to a
summation symbol; sort of like writing $\sum_{[a,b]} f$ rather than
$\sum_{k=a}^b f(k)$. Thus we get

<OMA>
   <OMS cd="arith1" name="sum"/>
   <OMA> <!-- the set of pairs of indices: -->
     <OMS cd="set1" name="cartesian_product"/>
     <OMV name="my_index_set"/>
     <OMV name="my_index_set"/>
   </OMA>
   <OMBIND>
     <OMS cd="fns1" name="lambda"/>
     <OMBVAR> <OMV name="i"/> <OMV name="j"/> </OMBVAR>

     <!-- Insert expression you're summing here. -->

   </OMBIND>
</OMA>

(with reservation for typing errors) as the basic idiom for summing over all
pairs $(i,j)$ of indices. It's the same with integrals.

Lars Hellström