[Om] Named functions in OpenMath

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Mon May 4 17:26:29 CEST 2015

On 04/05/2015 09:34, Wenzel, Ken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder what is the correct way to represent a named function in OpenMath.
>
> For example, I like to describe a function named "area" that computes the
> area of a rectangle.
>
> The corresponding Popcorn expression for the anonymous function is:
>
> fns1.lambda[$a, $b -> $a * $b]
>
> What is now the correct method to name this function.
>
> I can, for example, just give it an ID like
>
> fns1.lambda[$a, $b -> $a * $b] : area
>
> and invoke it with #area(3, 4) at an later point.
>
> But I think this is some kind of structure sharing since the lambda expression is
> simply copied into the resulting OpenMath object and not the invocation of
> a single function named "area".
>
> I would be grateful if somebody can help me.
>
> Best regards,
> Ken

You could define a binding to names within an openmath expression but if
I understand correct;y the question, the traditional place for such
bindings is in a Content Dictionary.

If you had a CD that  defined a symbol area with an FMP that gave the
semantics in terms of that lambda expression, then you'd just need

<apply>
   <OMS cd="mycd" mame="area"/>

David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.