[Om] first draft of the OM mail (please iterate)

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jul 14 11:05:31 CEST 2016

Dear OpenMath community,

we would like to revive the OpenMath effort and community, which has
been largely dormant over the last years.

Rather than reviewing the past, we should see why we should revive the
community:

 1. there are a couple of large-scale projects that center around
    combining computer algebra systems (see e.g. [1] and [2]).
 2. MathML is making inroads on the browsers again (see e.g. [3], [5])
 3. We have  Math Search Engines based on presentation and content Math,
    even competitions [4]
 4. There is an effort from inside math to build a World Digital Library
    of Mathematics [7] with a semantic layer [6]
 5. ... your reasons here, please communicate them ...

We are writing this message now, since we will have an OpenMath Workshop
at CICM in Bialystok on July 25. This is the first opportunity to do
something about reviving OpenMath. As the group of people that will meet
there is very small, we would like to discuss the issues with the
community beforehand (sorry for bringing this up relatively late, but
most discussions do not last longer than two weeks anyway). And we will
try to organize remote participation in the workshop.

We see three things we need to do:

 1. revive the organization (in particular the Executive Committee; see [8])
 2. think/discuss about extensions of OpenMath, e.g. (from memory)
     1. recognize content MathML as an official OpenMath encoding
        (legitimized by MathML3)
     2. are there new OM constructors we need (records, sequence
        variables, ...)
     3. how about a notation system
     4. DefMPs in OM CDs,
     5. ... your extension here ...
 3. think/discuss about other levels of content Math communication based
    on OpenMath (e.g. SCSCP for remote procedure calls)

We will discuss all of these (and any you suggest) on the OM workshop.
The first one is especially important, as the general assembly (we will
have one at the workshop) can elect the EC (see [9]). We propose the
following new roster:

 1. Michael Kohlhase (President)
 2. James Davenport (Vice President)
 3. Florian Rabe (Secretary)
 4. Patrick Ion (MathML liaison)
 5. Alex Konovalov (Member at Large)

Please give us feedback on this - privately to James and Michael if
necessary. We will bring your concerns into the general assembly to
inform the decisions.

Best,

James & Michael

[1] http://opendreamkit.org/activities/2016-06-30-OM_in_ODK/
[2] http://www.computeralgebra.de/
[3] http://frederic-wang.fr/mathml-improvements-in-webkit.html
[4] http://ntcir-math.nii.ac.jp/
[5] http://mathml-association.org/
[6] http://mathontheweb.org/gdml/IMKT-Charter-final.pdf
[7]
http://imkt.org/Activities/SemanticMathematics/Workshops/2016-02-03-Fields/index.html
[8] http://www.openmath.org/society/board.html
[9] http://www.openmath.org/society/statutes.html

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,        Office: Research 1, Room 168
 Professor of Computer Science  Campus Ring 1,
 Jacobs University Bremen           D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140  skype: mibein42
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase