[Om3] On math in office documents

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:07:13 CET 2008

I am indulging in a thought experiment and I was wondering if I could enlist
your aid, at least to determine whether I am barking up the correct tree or
not.  The central question is: "How can an office application suite better
manage mathematical information in an integrated fashion?"  Succinctly, I
suggest that all occurrences of mathematical objects have a uniform
representation so that cutting and pasting works between presentation, text,
and spreadsheet docs.  Also suggest that the formula document (currently
undefined) be defined as a workbook modeled after the CDGroup/CD.  A
six-page outline can be found here, if you're interested:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200812/msg00016.html

So here's where I would like to ask your help: I'm fairly new to
OpenMath/MathML and I'm exploring how to define simple named functions with
a formal parameter list, which can later be used.  I've written a brief
summary of what seems to me to be the most important concepts, given
examples of most of the concepts, and culminated in the writing of a CD
containing a really dumb function called "myfunc".  Could I get someone here
to look at this and see if I'm on the right track?

One thing I did note is that there does not appear to be an orthodox way to
specify a function implementation.  Yes you can include it as a "formal
mathematical property", but there can be more than one of those, and a
function can only have a single implementation.  The attachment explains
this concern in more detail...