[Om3] Playing with OM3 CDs

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Sun Jan 6 10:12:00 CET 2008

Dear all,

In preparation for our next OM3 phone call I have been playing some more
with the new CDs based on what we discussed on our last call. The joint
CDs are at https://svn.openmath.org/OpenMath3/cd/MathML

I have started to combine the information from arith1.ocd and arith1.mcd
into a new CD3 arith1.cd3, and I have started to build a RelaxNG grammar
for the CD3s to help me clarify my thinking, you can find it at
https://svn.openmath.org/OpenMath3/rnc.

This exercise (as I had expected) raised some issues that I would like
to share with you (I have opened trac issues for all of them, so please
add your opinions there.

   1. We need arity information in CDDefinition,
      (https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/14)
   2. What do we do about the license
      (https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/18)
   3. We still need to sort out the integrals
      (https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/17)
   4. what text format do we use for descriptions
      (https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/8)
   5. what is the format for properties
      (https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/19)
   6. what is the format for examples?
      (https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/20)

I am sure that more issues will arise, I will add them to trac, please
do the same.

One nasty problem I stumbled over again, which we should discuss is the
big operator problem we already discussed for integrals. It appeared
again for the lcm and gcd operators I was playing with in arith1.cd3. It
seems we systematically have three usages for this kind of symbo.

kind         example         role
normal:    lcm(a,b,c)       application
set-arg:    lcm(Nat)         application
expr:        lcm x. x>0     binding

at the MathML F2F we decided that we would use 'lcm' for the first and
'big_lcm' for the third variant. But what do we want to do with the
middle one?

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007