[Om3] On 'restricting bound variables' in Basic OpenMath

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 6 08:57:04 CET 2008

On Wed, November 5, 2008 11:08 pm, Chris Rowley wrote:
> James wrote --
>> > My problem is that the 'number of variables' seems to be irrelevant to
>> > a mathematician.  Two Reals is just one element of R^2 so a single
>> I disagree. It is irrelevant IN PRINCIPLE, but in practice (and if we
>> want
>> to be reasonably close to "the mathematical vernacular") it does matter.
>
> Agreed; my point is that the somewhat arbitrary(??) restrictions on
> typing to 'one variable' seem irrelevant from a mathematical viewpoint.
That's not the restriction. The restriction is to 'one type': in my proposal
<OMBIND>
  <OMA>
    <OMS name="forallrestricted" cd="quant2"/>
    <OMS name="N" cd="setname1"/>
  </OMA>
  <OMBVAR> <OMV name="x"/> <OMV name="y"/> </OMBVAR>

is legal.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123, 50199
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication