[Om3] Being pragmatic about the semantics of, eg, variables and functions

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 24 17:25:39 CET 2009

On Tue, March 24, 2009 3:58 pm, Robert Miner wrote:
> Hi.
>
> James wrote:
>
>> As for the first, am I right in the following:
>> (a) This wouldn't preclude OM developing intcond etc. later;
>> (b) Since Strict will be isomorphic to OM, these will therefore be
>> part of strict;
>> (c) Therefore pragmatic->strict COULD be (pace David, I won't say
>> WOULD) be enhanced to use these in the future?
>> If I am right here, then we probably have a way forward that works
>> today and doesn't preclude growth tomorrow.
>
> You are more expert than I am, but this is what I was thinking/hoping
> was correct.  And your conclusion is exactly what I am looking for -- a
> way forward that works today and doesn't preclude growth tomorrow.
David has some concerns, but this may be a way forward.
> Of course, as you point out, something still needs to be done about
> uplimit/lowlimit vs interval for integrals.  Your proposal for a
> solution to that will be welcome.
OK - I'll try to do that, but I don't guarantee today.

James Davenport
Visiting Full Professor, University of Waterloo
Otherwise:
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology and
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication