[Om3] Initializing OM3 at 2013 Process

James Davenport J.H.Davenport at bath.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 09:47:51 CEST 2013

Thanks for this.
Quoting Michael Kohlhase <m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de>:

> Dear all,
>
> the summer is over, and the dust of the new semester (for me) has
> somewhat settled, so we should get on with our mandate to look at
> extension of OM2, possibly with a view towards an OpenMath 3
> standard. I have attached JHD's meeting minutes; here are the
Manybe this should replac ethe ld text at the start of the TRAC, not
least since "last year" is bound to 2010 not 2012.
> relevant parts, with my comments inline
>
>> MK listed some change suggestions.
>> 1. Better rˆole system (MK/FR)
>> 2. n-ary binders (see Hellstr ̈om’s second presentation)
>> 3. first-class sequences (Horozal/Kohlhase)
>> 4. first-class records (Kohlhase)
>> 5. flexForm CDs
>> 6. Notation Definitions
>> 7. DefMPs
>> 8. Document/develop CD writing tools (see Hellstr ̈om’s first presentation)
>> 9. Recognise Content MathML as an encoding.
>> 10. Bug reports
>
> Some of these issues are already raised (and discussed in the TRAC
> at http://trac.mathweb.org/OM3 I propose to just adopt the TRAC as an
That may be true, but it's hard to find. Can you start a meta-ticket
with cross-references to the relevant items?
> open resource for discussion and planning. Everyone interested is
> invited to make an account at
> https://trac.mathweb.org/register/register and tell me the account
> name (please no funny characters and blanks) and I will give you
> permissions. I expect that we will have to clean up some obsolete
> issues, and resolve the rest. Furthermore, we should collect all
> change proposals out there and put them onto the TRAC, so that we
> can work them off.
I have an account (jhd).
>> He therefore proposed a Standards Extension Committee, to meet and
>> deliver an opinion
>> before the OpenMath Meeting 2014 (at CICM 2014 in Coimbra). This
>> proposal was carried.
>
>> DPC noted that MathML was proposed by W3C to be “elevated” to ISO
>> standards, with the
>> process to start in 2013 already. This might impose some time
>> constraints, though it was
>> not totally obvious precisely which these were at this stage.
>
>> Membership MK, DPC, JHD, LH, CL, CAR, JWK. the Committee was given
>> the power to co-opt.
>> Working The Committee should work via an open mailing list, and Skype calls.
>
> We should also have a kick-off skype meeting; would next week suit
> (generally, I will set up a doodle).
Yes, but not Wednesday.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology,
University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
Director of Studies EPSRC Doctoral Taught Course Centre for HPC
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Trustee, Council and Engineering & Science Board, British Computer Society
SW Coordinator, Computing at School Network of Excellence
Federal Council, International Federation for Computational Logic