[Trac] [OpenMath] #123: Clean up duplicate XSLT stylesheets

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 15:14:27 CEST 2010

On 30/07/2010 13:59, OpenMath wrote:

>   OK, right, I should have said that by "cleaning up" I did not necessarily
>   mean "deleting", but rearranging things.  With the current state of
>   things, anyone new to OpenMath (probably not even old OpenMath users) who
>   checks out the svn would have a hard time finding out which of the many
>   XSLTs he should actually use.

agreed.

>   Aren't even the colour-coded XML sources just examples?  I'm asking
>   because only a few CDs are listed that way in the appendix.
arith1 is there as an example but meta and error are a bit different as
they are  effectively part of the standard as they are used (if i recall
correctly) to define the CD format and error handling behaviour
respectively.

   In any case
>   the XSLTs are not mentioned in the standard, but still they are a valuable
>   part of the "unofficial software distribution" we maintain at
>   openmath.org.

the ones in the main omxsl are, but I think the ones in the standard
area are just a frozen snapshot of them intended to be part of the build
of the standard document, so the standard document text didn't change if
we changed the CD formatting. But they ended up not being used. I think
that's the history anyway, although it's a long time ago:-)

>   IIRC it's not part of the web pages at www.openmath.org in any way, is it?

yes:

http://www.openmath.org/OpenMath3/

>   So the only thing to be done would be e.g. renaming the svn directory or
>   putting a readme file there saying that it is experimental or for archival
>   purposes.
>   >  however we should not lose the svn history of the work that was done
>   there. (Also that holds the current versions of the om<->  content mathml
>   stylesheets, although I'll probably move those at some point
>   Of course.  Note that when you delete something in svn the history is also
>   preserved, but of course no longer in an obvious way.  So I'd say that we
>   could probably ''relocate'' some directories, i.e. out of the sight of an
>   average visitor to the repository.

agreed.

David