[Om3] target K14 for reading content-math spec any realistic?

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Mon Sep 8 11:19:16 CEST 2008

Dear Developers of the Semantic Math Approaches,

I am stepping back a bit about the content-discussion, I think we've
gone too far:
Allow me to doubt about the intent "K14" for the MathML content symbol
descriptions.
It is probably a nice dream but is, to my taste, not realistic and not
useful.

If you consider the population sample, only the native english-
speaking people would be able to make use of it, most others really
don't know that, for example, lcm is what they think about. Another
example: I did not know of the meaning of branch-cut before actually
starting with OpenMath (although having studied math till PhD level
partially at McGill University)

K14 is, of course, extremely different depending on the country you
are in and the course of studies you are in; it is almost impossible
to select the appropriate language without referencing outside
concepts. Abramovitz and Stegun are not the most readable thing you
can make and certainly not one that is super widespread in Europe
(e.g. can't find it at Fnac.fr) but it's well defined. Targetting K14
would really mean going pedagogic and reference more accessible and
explaining sources (e.g. MathWorld or Wikipedia).

I had always understood the K12 or K14 target of MathML3 as being "the
set of symbols corresponds to these that one would commonly accept at
a person that has about 14 years of learning in his or her life". That
is, to my taste, is acceptable but very different.

As for the OpenMath CDs or MathML chapter 4 descriptions, I just feel
they need to be minimal enough to be interoperable. This is what I can
see in the current OpenMath CDs, maybe this can be enhanced a bit but
not under the perspective of a joe-bo-student-that-is-starting-at-the-
university.

paul

PS: sorry, I am currently cross-posting to om3 at openmath.org and member-math at w3.org
PPS: internationalization of the CDs-description sounds a very brave
mission and one that I would support!