[Om3] Splitting <Description>

jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 00:59:48 CEST 2008

It appears (see message below) that MathML would like to include the
<description> elements from the relevant CDs in the MathML standard
(reasonable goal in principle), but wish these to be "targeted at the K-14
literate readers " (reasonable, but hard to formalise).

However, we probably (definitely in my view) need more than this, such as
precise definitions of branch cuts and MANY other things. Hence I would
liek to repeat here the call I have made for a split. I personally still
prefer

<overview>
The arctan function is the inverse of the tan function
</overview>
<detail>
As defined in A+S and ISO/IEC10967. The specification (and therefore
branch cuts) in terms of log are given in the CMPs/FMPs
</detail>

but if MathML insist that it be the <Description> element that appears in
the MathML standard, when we could change overview into Description.

Michael wrote --
> What to edit?
>
> Every <CDDefinition> element has a <Description> element. This is the
> most likely candidate for inclusion into Chapter 4, so it deserves our
> attention most. This is also the field that is targeted at the K-14
> literate readers as discussed extensively on the list.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Currently (thankfully briefly) Acting Head, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication