[Om3] Splitting <Description>

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Mon Sep 15 06:58:29 CEST 2008

Dear James, dear all,

I think we are quite in consensus here that we need two elements for
describing a symbol, and there have been a number of element name
suggestions floating around. We are currently using <Description> and
<discussion> purely for legacy reasons.

@James, are you making the suggestion that we should use <overview> and
<detail> as element names, or just to clarify the issue.

We should decide on element names in the near future, so that we can
make the switch (if necessary).

Michael

jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk wrote:
> It appears (see message below) that MathML would like to include the
> <description> elements from the relevant CDs in the MathML standard
> (reasonable goal in principle), but wish these to be "targeted at the K-14
> literate readers " (reasonable, but hard to formalise).
>
> However, we probably (definitely in my view) need more than this, such as
> precise definitions of branch cuts and MANY other things. Hence I would
> liek to repeat here the call I have made for a split. I personally still
> prefer
>
> <overview>
> The arctan function is the inverse of the tan function
> </overview>
> <detail>
> As defined in A+S and ISO/IEC10967. The specification (and therefore
> branch cuts) in terms of log are given in the CMPs/FMPs
> </detail>
>
> but if MathML insist that it be the <Description> element that appears in
> the MathML standard, when we could change overview into Description.
>

> Michael wrote --
>
>> What to edit?
>>
>> Every <CDDefinition> element has a <Description> element. This is the
>> most likely candidate for inclusion into Chapter 4, so it deserves our
>> attention most. This is also the field that is targeted at the K-14
>> literate readers as discussed extensively on the list.
>>

> James Davenport
> Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
> Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
> Currently (thankfully briefly) Acting Head, CS Dept
> Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123
> Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
> OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
> IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007