[om] Announce: KQML for OpenMath

Andrew Solomon andrews at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sun Sep 19 16:13:42 CEST 1999

Dear OMers,

The intention of this email is to keep this very important
issue under discussion.

In mid-august Michael Kohlhase wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> On OpenMath workshop in Talahassee I proposed KQML (the Knowledge Query and
> Management Language; a standart Agent communication language) as a basis
> for the protocol layer of OpenMath.
>
> In Eindhoven the question of designing a protocol layer for OM reappeared
> and KQML was mentioned independently in this context, since KQML is an
> independent standard for Agent communication that has been in use for a
> couple of years.
>
> To make it more compatible with OpenMath, I went ahead and specified an XML
> representation of KQML for OpenMath. (see
> http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~omega/www/projects/openmath/kqml for a DTD and
> examples.)
>
> We are planning to use KQML as the protocol for communication between
> mathematical services in the OMEGA system (see
> http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~omega) which uses our MathWeb architecture (see
> http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~omega/www/openmath.html) for agent-based
> communication among mathematical software systems.
>
> Please have a look at
> http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~omega/www/projects/openmath/kqml and give me
> feedback.
>
>      Michael

>    Dr. Michael Kohlhase, FB Informatik,  Bau 36, Zi. 220
>    Universit"at des Saarlandes, 66041 Saarbr"ucken, Germany
>    tel/fax: (49)-681-302-4628/2235 net: <kohlhase at cs.uni-sb.de>
>    http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~kohlhase/

As a response I'd like to forward the following email which I had previously
sent to the internal Esprit list. In particular, please note the
inform-ref and query-ref performatives which would, I think, render
the ACL "complete" for basic mathematical purposes.

I'd like to know what interest there is in goal (b) below, and
whether any progress toward this goal has already been achieved.

Andrew Solomon

--
Department of Computer Science
University of St Andrews	tel:  +44 1334 46 3271
St Andrews                      email: andrews at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Fife      KY16 9SS
Scotland
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org