[om] OpenMath and Imaging

Ka-Ping Yee ping at lfw.org
Tue Sep 28 20:48:05 CEST 1999

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Vilya Harvey wrote:
> In the same spirit I could ask why you bothered to solve "most of the easy
> problems" 3 years ago, since they had already been solved before then.

Not for the Web, at least as far as i know.  Getting math on the
Web was a new problem then; now it is an old problem.

> > Now explain how you're going to get a random user to see MathML in
> > their favourite browser...
>
> Two obvious answers: use the WebEQ applet (should work in any Java-enabled
> browser now)

Java is a write-once, debug-everywhere platform disabled in many
company Intranets for (quite valid) security reasons.  It's
unfortunate -- i really would have liked it to work well, but
it's just not practical.

> or wait until the next release of Netscape and IE - at that

Yes, at which point math markup on the Web will be about four years late.
Haven't we done enough waiting yet?

> point both of the major mainstream web-browsers should have support for
> MathML, so it is quite likely that the random users favourite browser will
> be able to view it directly.

Will they both support the same subset of MathML?  Will they
permit extensible presentation layers?

-- ?!ng

"Don't worry about people stealing an idea.  If it's original, you'll
have to jam it down their throats."
    -- Howard Aiken

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org