[om] a developer's perspective on CDs

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 02:57:49 CEST 2000

> I was just visiting www.openmath.org and couldn't find any CDs no
> matter which

They are all at http://www.openmath.org/cd which address was announced
on the om-announce list. If this isn't clear from the web pages at
the top of the site, I'll fix that (but not at this time of night)

> The standard and refereeing process promote a very rigid view of CD evolution
> which makes people afraid to release something which might possibly
> contain an infelicity.

I hope that isn't the case. The CDs produced on the esprit project have
(as you know) been available publicly for the best part of two years
in one form or another. The refereeing process is  to decide
whether to declare them as stable/official not to deter the publication
of experimental cds.

> the CDs I worked with within the ESPRIT consortium were really good,
> but I doubt too many people outside the consortium have seen them.

They've been available from the esprit project site at NAG for years
and more recently moved to the above URL at openmath.org (the whole
openmath.org site also has a copy at nag).

> Make CDs public quickly, then people can go ahead and WRITE SOME CODE,
You seem to be under the misapprehension that the CDs are not available
publicly. Apart from some improved examples, and editorial improvements
suggested as part of the reviewing process, which will be made available
as soon as they are incorporated, the CDs at openmath.org are the full
and current set of CDs produced by the esprit project, and others are
welcome to submit some more.

David

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org