[om] Request: OpenMath C++ library

Stephane Dalmas Stephane.Dalmas at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Aug 29 17:42:31 CEST 2002

> There seems to be enough interest (CoCoA V, LinBox) for having
> an OpenMath C++ library, so I would like to collect your opinions
> on what is the best way to get one (translate from Java? get it
> from someone who has developed it and never told? write one from
> scratch?). Just let me know what you think.

Believe it or not, but we already had this idea a couple of years ago... A
C++ OpenMath library was a deliverable of the OpenMath European project.
This was based on the C library that we developped at INRIA.

Whether this library is still of any real use, I don't know. This was
designed before the days of XML ruling the world and thus it only parses
the strict XML subset of the OpenMath standard at that time (and also the
binary encoding, of course). Most people these days seem to want to
embed OpenMath in arbitrary pieces of XML or embed arbitrary pieces of XML
inside the XML OpenMath encoding, meaning that they need a full XML
parser. If this is the case, a better choice would be to make a wrapper
around a good C XML library (such as the Gnome one, for example).

    Stéphane.
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org