[om] default rendering of OM

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon May 20 19:38:18 CEST 2002

To clarify.... I assume that
there IS a default rendering, and it is a character
string that starts with <OMOBJ>.   This perhaps should
not be dignified with the name "rendering"  but in
the absence of a style sheet, it seems to me always
available as a presentation.

David Carlisle wrote:

> Only minor quibbles (which I won't bother with) up to this point.
>

>>There is no default
>>rendering for OM* but it is possible to associate
>>an OM object with a stylesheet.
>>

>>*Huh?  what about <OMOBJ> ... </OMOBJ> ?
>>

> You lost me completely. Huh what and what about OMOBJ.?
> Maybe it was just my phrasing (and as ever my bad typing:-)
> By "OM Object" I mean an object encoded in OpenMath.
> the OMOBJ element is the top level element in the XML encoding of
> openmath, but I don't know why you introduced it into the discussion at
> that point.
>

> So after all this discussion it seems that your suggested wording is now
> in total agreement with Mike's original comparison that started this
> thread, except that it's a bit more explicit on rendering issues.

I don't know what Mike's original comparison was, but if it is

" MathML deals principally with the presentation of mathematical
objects, while OpenMath is solely concerned with their semantic meaning
or content. "

then I don't agree they are the same at all. Is this what
you are referring to?
RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org